Okay, so there’s a story behind the name of these cookies. I got this wonderfully delicious cookie recipe from the lovely, talented, and resourceful friend Hayley because I was looking for a festive cookie to take to a tailgating party before a Georgia Bulldogs football game. (Go Dawgs!) My hubby saw me making these the morning of the party, and when he saw me rolling the chocolate balls of dough in red sprinkles, he said, “What are you making?!? Dawg balls?!?” And I said, “Yes!”
And that is how this cookie’s name came to be.
These have been such a hit everywhere I’ve taken them, and they are great for making with kids, too! They love to roll the dough in the sprinkles. They can be made with or without the chocolate kisses – both ways are wonderful. And you can change the color of sprinkles to match your team, or to match whatever holiday you are celebrating. The outer edges of the cookie are crispy while the middle stays nice and chewy – and the subtle Nutella flavor is totally addictive!
(aka Hayley’s Chocolate Hazelnut Smooches)
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup chocolate hazelnut spread (recommended: Nutella)
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup orange sprinkles, or orange sugar
1 (9-ounce) package of chocolate candy kisses, unwrapped
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, place the chocolate hazelnut spread, butter, and both sugars. Using a hand mixer, cream the ingredients together, about 3 minutes.
- Add the egg and vanilla and blend until incorporated. Stir in the dry ingredients, just until incorporated.
- Shape the cookie dough into walnut-sized balls. Rolls the balls in the red sprinkles or red sugar, pressing to adhere.
- Place the cookies on a heavy cookie sheet about 3 inches apart. Bake for 8 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven.
- Quickly place a chocolate kiss in the middle of each cookie. Return the cookies to the oven and bake for another 3 minutes. Cool the cookies on a wire rack.
Makes 36-40 cookies.